By Ositadimma Izuchukwu Anslem ©2018
The air of the Nigeria polity is once again stuffed up with the shenanigans and politicking that’s associated with the electioneering period. So many people, groups and bodies are positioning for the ‘big season’, but this time around, things are different. It is different because we now have a shift from the norm. The norm of the days of yore, when half-baked “Support Groups” groups were floated by irregular characters just to have a chunk out of the pool of consolidated campaign funds. Those were the days of the locust, when the people whom the people hold in trust for their resources, have appropriated same for their personal pockets.
Today, the obtainablilities are different. President Muhammadu Buhari has performed so creditably well that he does not need a long list of phoney support groups to validate his performance. The numerous infrastructural projects and reforms all over Nigeria are their to speak for him. Today, we have a leader who is investigating so much resources for the next generation instead of the next election. A departure from the norm where humongous sums are voted for the purposes of manipulating elections.
A shift from the usual is the Good Governance Ambassadors of Nigeria (GOGAN), a collection of patriotic and altruistic Nigerians who have volunteered their personal resources for the purpose of championing good governance and preaching the rule of law. GOGAN, which boasts of an organogram of refined men and women with clearcut agenda, have outlined their aims and objectives which includes:
– To promote and rally support towards the enthronement of good governance in Nigeria for peace, unity and prosperity of Nigeria.
– To rally support for the government in a bid 5o engender positive performance and delivery of the dividends of democracy to the entire citizenry.
– To propagate anti-Corruption campaign by promoting and celebrating moral values, integrity, modesty and honesty among Nigerians.
– To evolve workable strategies towards youth empowerment through agriculture and mining, amongst others.
– To promote unity and peace among Nigerians as a panacea to achieving positive development in the nation.
– To promote Unity among religious bodies as an avenue for achieving religious freedom in every part of the country.
– to. Encourage, support and assist the armed forces in its fight against terrorism in the country.
– To periodically draw the attention of the government to the genuine agitations of the citizens to engender people’s oriented policies and programs.
– To encourage compliance with genuine policies of the government by the citizens.
– To provide dynamic support for the improved revenue generation and economic development of the country.
With all of the above, it is an uncontestable fact that the Good Governance Ambassadors of Nigeria (GOGAN) is a project beyond 2019.