The ATM machine was invented by John Shepherd-Barron and Donald Wetzel. It was first installed in September, 1969 in Chemical bank, USA.
The Automated Teller Machine (ATM) was introduced in Nigeria in 1989, as a matter of fact, the very first Automated Teller Machine (ATM) in Nigeria was first installed by National Cash Registers (NCR) for the defunct Society General Bank in 1987. It was after two years of installation it was introduced properly.
Most Nigerians did not use the ATM till early 2000s.
The ATM is the first public display of the “Internet of Things.” I should write about the “Internet Of Things” better known as “IoT” next week. The ATM gave room for card payments to be made popular, even though Nigerians were using now defunct “Valucard” for shopping and payments, before now.
Below are ten things you can do on/with/around the ATM apart from cash withdrawals.
* You can pay utility bills(Power bills, Water bills, Security, Tax etc.) with the ATM
* You can deposit funds via the ATM (First Bank is the first bank that started this awesome initiative) some select banks now install ATM that accept deposits
* You can check your account balance via their ATM
* You can buy airtime and Data via the ATM
* You can open an account via the ATM (to be concluded later in the banking hall. Banks like GTB have this too)
*You can carry out inter/intra bank transfers via the ATM
* You can change your registered bank phone number via the ATM.
* You can fund your “bet” account via the ATM.
* You can buy tickets for events and even pay for flight tickets via the ATM.
* You can meet your “future hubby or wifey” in an ATM queue (If you know, you know. )
The super ATM machine births the modern day Financial Management Technology.