– Nnamdi Kanu was born Nwannekaenyi Nnamdi Kenny Okwu Kanu on September 1967 at Isiama Afara, Abia State. His father is HRM Eze Israel Okwu Kanu (JP) and his mother is Ugoeze Nnenne Kanu
– Citizenship: Dual (Nigerian and British)
– Alma mater: University of Nigeria Nsukka and London Metropolitan University.
Known for: Activist, radio director, freedom fighter, Political Activism, Secessionist Movement and leader of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). He believes in ‘Judaism’ and considers himself a Jew.
– Kanu was arrested on treason charges, terrorism and terrorism financing on 18 October 2015, in Lagos State by Nigeria’s secret police – the Department of State Services (DSS) and was detained in a Nigerian jail without trial for more than a year-and-a-half, despite various court orders that ruled for his release.
– Kanu was arrested in his hotel room at Golden Tulip Essential Hotel Ikeja, Lagos State.
-The news of the arrest of Kanu generated protests across parts of Delta State, Enugu State, Rivers State, Cross River State, Abia State, Imo State, and Anambra State.
– On 28 April 2017 Kanu was released from prison on bail by justice Binta Nyako for health reasons.
-Kanu at World Igbo Congress which was held in Los Angeles, told his audience that “we need guns and we need bullets”, saying that he demanded for bullets and guns from a group of US-based Nigerians for self-defense against the incessant attacks on Igbos by Fulani herdsmen.
– Kanu disappeared from the public view after his home was raided by the Nigerian military.
– Till date, the whereabout of Nnamdi Kanu is not known.